Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Parenting


I have had a bit of a catharsis today.  Cale was sent to time-out at pre-school yesterday and it bothered me  (just ask everyone I have talked to in the last 24 hours).  So far, none of my kids have ever been a problem at school or at least I haven't known about it.  

I took Cale for his 2 year check up and spoke about my feelings with his doctor.  It turned into a mini therapy session for me.  We talked about parenting and he gave me some really good advice regarding all of my children.    I realized by talking to him, that I have been very caught up in my kids physical needs lately, like clean clothes, food, homework.  I am a referee and a taxi driver.  I need to slow down enough to parent.  I need to squash Cale's bad habits now rather than wait for them to really get him into trouble.  I need to foster the other kids relationships with each other.  How they treat each other is teaching Cale so much and they don't even know it.  I also spoke with my Mom who suggested using more humor in my parenting.  I am definitely going to try to do that.  Be like gravity she said.  Such good advice.

Parenting is so tiring, sometimes it is life-sucking tiring.   I am going to try harder to be a better parent and hope that they all aren't totally screwed up already:)

2 comments:

iMollie said...

what good reminders - thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness Whitney C. I just spent the last 20 minutes of my life looking in on yours. I always knew you were amazing and special, but now I really know why. You are so very talented in your creativity and the manner in which you relay the life you lead. Your kids are really very lucky to have you and Thom as parents - such intelligent, thoughtful and loving people. I am a big fan of you and your family. I'll be looking in often!! Love you -- Mary R.